Robert L. Mills - Author, Lecturer, Entertainer - Studio City, California
by Robert L. Mills
(Studio City, CA, USA)
Robert L. Mills
I was a script writer for Bob Hope during the 1970s and 1980s and my book "THE LAUGH MAKERS: A Behind-the-Scenes Tribute to Bob Hope's Incredible Gag Writers" was published by Bear Manor Media and chosen by Leonard Maltin as one of his "Top 20 Picks" for 2009.
At the request of Crystal Cruise Lines, I developed a series of one-hour performances that are illustrated by actual on-air DVD clips from the 85 Bob Hope specials that I co-wrote. The clips feature many frequent and legendary guests on the Hope shows including George Burns, Milton Berle, Red Skelton, Danny Thomas, Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Mickey Rooney, Glen Campbell, Brooke Shields, Loni Anderson, Jonathan Winters, Don Rickles, Perry Como, Sammy Davis, Jr., Dean Martin, George C. Scott, and many others including presidents (and Hope's close pals) Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford.
For ten years, I have been performing these shows aboard the cruise ships Crystal Symphony, Crystal Harmony, Celebrity Mercury, and the Princesses Island, Diamond, Star and Pacific.
Each of the nine separate shows are one hour in length consisting of 45 minutes of commentary and behind-the-scenes stories from 17 years on the road with Bob Hope and his guests plus approximately 15-17 minutes of hilarious video clips that illustrate the stories.
For audiences who remember Bob Hope and the TV era of the 1970s and 1980s, the shows are an entertaining exercise in pure nostalgia of a period when "stars were stars" and TV was worth watching.
The show titles:
1) "How Now, Chairman Mao?" Discussion & DVD Clips of historic 1979 3-hour special from Peking and Shanghai. Guests: Mickhail Baryshnikov, Crystal Gayle, Big Bird, Dolores Hope.
2) "Boo-Boos, Blunders & Catastrophes" Discussion and DVD clips of disasters that arose during production; outtakes include Sammy Davis, Jr., Red Skelton, Dean Martin and George Burns.
3) "Hope in Uniform: West Point to Baghdad" Discussion and DVD clips of specials from West Point, Annapolis, Air Force Academy, Pope Air Base, Middle East; guests: Mickey Rooney, George C. Scott, Glen Campbell.
4) "Hope Salutes the NFL" Discussion and DVD clips from 1983's 60th Anniversary of the N.F.L.; guests include Howard Cosell, Don Meredith, Don Knotts, George Gobel, and Don Rickles.
5) "The Play's the Thing" Discussion and DVD clips of typical Hope sketches including parodies of "Miami Vice," "Superman," "Happy Days," "Dallas," with guests Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Lee Marvin.
6) "75th Anniversary of the World Series" Discussion and DVD clips from 1979 special co-hosted by Danny
Kaye; guests: LA Dodgers, Billy Martin, Howard Cosell, Glen Campbell.
7) "Bob Hope Down Under" Discussion and DVD clips from 1978 2-hour visit to Perth, Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne, Auckland, NZ ; guests Florence Henderson, Barbara Eden, Charo, Aussie artists.
8) "A Bob Hope Christmas" Discussion and DVD clips of Hope Holiday Specials; guests Red Skelton, Andy Williams, Reba McEntire, Brooke Shields, Angie Dickenson, Perry Como, Mark Hamill.
9) "Bob Hope's Salutes the Palace Theater" Discussion and DVD clips from 1978 vaudeville special starring George Burns, Steve Lawrence, Edyie Gorme, Olivia Newton-John, Johnny Carson.
As you can glean from the titles, these shows are tailor-made for an enthralling hour of nostalgia for your more mature audiences -- who will be captivated from the moment Hope's theme of "Thanks For the Memory" is heard to the applause and "thank yous" at the conclusion of each show. On cruise ships, these shows almost always receive standing ovations.
The video clips shown are rare, re-mastered on DVD, and have not been seen since they first aired on NBC. To display them, I need a screen and a DVD projector. If a sound system is not available, I provide my own microphone and speaker.
For smaller rooms, a large-screen TV attached to a DVD player is ideal. I can also provide the DVD player and sound system.
COST: The fee for each one-hour show including DVD clips is $150 plus expenses of $ .50 per mile to locations exceeding 20 miles from my home in Studio City (Calculated door-to-door by GoogleMaps. Venues beyond driving distance arranged individually.)
PAYMENT: The fee is payable 1/2 at the time of booking and the balance following the performance.
Celebrity Cruise Line
The LA Memorial Branch Library (Frances Mendelshon)
The North Hollywood Branch Library with clips (Holly Hampton)
The Glendale Library with clips (Chuck Wyke)
The Burbank Library with clips (Louise Paziak)
The Burbank Lions Club (Cindi Alleman)
The Ventura Writers Club (Gene Perret)
The Thousand Oaks Rotary Club
The Sherman Oaks Rotary Club
The Studio City Library
Author, Lecturer, Entertainer
4241 Beck Avenue
Studio City, CA 91604
Home: (818) 980-8445
Cell: (818) 980-8445
How To Start Your Own Food Booth
Events For Entertainers & Related PagesEvent Insurance | Festivals | Music Festivals | Concert Tour Dates | State Fairs
Branson Shows | Broadway Shows | Las Vegas Shows | Music Videos | VIP Tickets
Classifieds | Events | Attractions | Fun Stuff | Home | Privacy